Based in Amsterdam
20 october 2016
|2,99 USD / EURO|
Rusty Lake: Roots
James Vanderboom's life drastically changes when he plants a special seed in the garden of the house he has inherited. Expand your bloodline by unlocking portraits in the tree of life. Rusty Lake: Roots is the second premium point-and-click adventure by Rusty Lake, the creators of the Cube Escape series and Rusty Lake Hotel. A trip to this undiscovered part in the Rusty Lake universe will cost only $ 2,99 / € 2,99 and is now available on: Android, iOS and Desktop.
- Pick-up-and-play: easy to start but hard to put down
- Unique storyline: experience the beginning and end of characters' lives and build your own family tree
- More than 33 levels: the biggest Rusty Lake game so far is filled with puzzles
- Full of suspense and atmosphere: Switching from calm to very dark moments
- Impressive soundtrack: each level has its own theme song and variations
- Achievements: the tree has more secrets to unravel
- A pastel painting of Rusty Lake is used as a background
- Supporting 14 languages
Official trailer YouTube
Teaser trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Rusty Lake: Roots, Nominated IMGA Awards @ 13th IMGA San Francisco" imgawards.com, February, 2017
- "Rusty Lake Roots, Top 10 Google Play Indie Games Contest @ Saatchi Gallery London" Google Play, February, 2017
- "Rusty Lake Roots, Best Narrative Award @ Casual Connect Tel Aviv" indieprize.org, November, 2016
I heartily recommend you get Rusty Lake Hotel for a mere £1.60, as well as Rusty Lake: Roots for two quid. And then splurge on the amazing free Cube Escapes, each of which adds to the Rusty Lake universe in a peculiar way. You’ll be so glad you did."
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
Rusty Lake: Roots is an excellent follow-up to Rusty Lake Hotel—grander, grimmer, and more gruesome than ever. The Rusty Lake games are quickly carving out a niche as my favorite point-and-click series of the modern era, with a bold confidence underpinning their unconventional and inventive world. I highly recommend picking up the pair for a night or two of surreal horror."
- Hayden Dingman, PCWorld
That payoff is the same as any great Rusty Lake game: the ability to lose yourself in the strange and disturbing events unfolding before you. An empathy for and understanding of even characters that don’t speak a word. A frustration and then exhilaration at solving brain-burning puzzles. And an increased appreciation, love, and fear of Rusty Lake and its shadowy, timeless inhabitants. Roots just happens to have all of this in an even larger, longer package; with more lives on the line; and more reasons to book your stay."
- Jillian Werner, GameZebo
This is a dark and strange experience, but it’s definitely one that’s worth having. It’s grim and weird in all of the very best ways. So pick it up, give it a try, and you’ll find an adventure that’s not quite like anything you’ve ever played before.
- Harry Slater, Pocket Gamer
If you're a thoughtful adventurer with an affinity for puzzles, I’d highly recommend that you play Rusty Lake Roots. Simply put, it is a brilliant game.
- Cindy Kyser, Just Adventure
Rusty Lake is one of those developers whose games you could recognize just by their tone and feel even if you didn't know the developer. Their Cube Escape series has managed to combine fun puzzles with an unmistakable unsettling tone, and their longer game, Rusty Lake Hotel [$1.99], had one of the spookiest trailers I've seen recently. In recent blog posts, the developers have been hinting at their upcoming project, which will be their most ambitious one to date. The narrative is about a family tree, a theme that allowed the developers to flex their creative muscles and come up with a lot of crazy ideas."
- Tasos Lazarides, TouchArcade
Request Press Copy
We are afraid this developer has not upgraded their presskit() to use distribute(). For security purposes, this form has been disabled.
About Rusty Lake
Rusty Lake is both the name of our indie game studio and the eerie and surrealistic world we have created. We are the creators of the praised Cube Escape series and the premium point-and-click adventures Rusty Lake Hotel, Rusty Lake: Roots and Rusty Lake Paradise!
More information on Rusty Lake, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Rusty Lake: Roots Credits
Developer and publisher